Over the years I’ve acquired equipment that, as a professional, have made my life loads easier. I wish someone had given this to me years ago, but now I'm sharing it with you in hopes that one or more of these tools will make life in the kitchen more quick, simple, and fun!
So, lets talk about our kitchens. Cooking can be frustrating, time consuming and difficult if the right tools aren’t being used. Below I’ve included a purchase link my favorite tools. However, do keep in mind stores like T.J. Maxx and Home Goods have great deals if you can find what you’re looking for there. I’ve picked up a couple All Clad pans and some other favorites at a good price; sadly, it’s not always a guarantee. As with anything, you get what you pay for.
So, go ahead and print and keep this list and slowly acquire the things you need over time. If you buy good quality items and take care of them, they’ll last a lifetime!
1. KNIVES - My Favorite!
Although I’ve been growing a collection of knives, you don’t need as many as you think. Three is all you really need: a pairing, chefs and serrated knife. I’ve added an extra nakiri knife because it’s become a favorite, but it’s unnecessary.
My advice here is to buy a good chef's knife. One that you will take care of! (Please don't put it int he dishwasher! EEEK!) Mae sure if feels food. Hold it in your hand and make sure you like the weight of it. Keep it share by running it a honing steel frequently - a long steel rod that will keep your blade aligned. If it gets really dull, sharpen it with a stone or take it in to get it sharpened professionally. It's actually safer to have a sharp knife than a dull one!
- Pairing knife, 3-4 inch blade: http://amzn.to/2evdoca
- Chef’s knife, 8 inch is what I like. I find smaller than 8 inches is too small for me: http://amzn.to/2evdQHL OR http://amzn.to/2etTc9u
- Serrated bread knife: http://amzn.to/2e7FkEQ
- Honing steel: http://amzn.to/2eSZow5
- Vegetable knife (extra): http://amzn.to/2e9h8ED
For a more detailed knife breakdown and review, check out https://www.reviews.com/chef-knife/
2. CUTTING BOARDS
I personally like wooden cutting boards – as they’re much more beautiful than plastic ones and a little easier on you’re knives, too. They also don’t collect as much bacteria as the plastic counterpart. Wash them with soap and water, dry it completely, and show it some love by oiling it every now and then. Make sure to use on that's big enough so you’re workspace isn’t crowded.
3. POTS & PANS
These should be heavy bottomed and not have a plastic handle, that way you can pop them in the oven without it melting. Start off with a good sauté pan, a non-stick pan for eggs, a small 1-2-quart pot and a larger soup pot. Build up from there!
13. SMALL TOOLS
- Metal Flipper - http://amzn.to/2evsVbX
- Silicone Flipper - http://amzn.to/2e2FgVG
- Silicone Spatula Set - http://amzn.to/2evuZ3O
- Fish Spatula - http://amzn.to/2e9uMYt
- Wooden Spoons - http://amzn.to/2e9z2Ho
- Slotted Spoon - http://amzn.to/2ek3uLB
- Ladle - http://amzn.to/2dPJ4rI
- Whisk - http://amzn.to/2e9BuO2
- Spider - http://amzn.to/2euaYJV
- Vegetable Peeler - http://amzn.to/2e7Vv5d
- Can Opener - http://amzn.to/2e7WOBh
- Instant-Read Thermometer, great for checking when chicken and meat is done - http://amzn.to/2dPGlPf
- Zester/Microplane - http://amzn.to/2eTeRfw
- Grater - http://amzn.to/2enetDo
- Measuring Cups
- Liquid - http://amzn.to/2e9BX2E
- Cups/Soons - http://amzn.to/2doOEVK
- Rolling Pin - http://amzn.to/2euea86
- Mandoline Slicer
- Stand - http://amzn.to/2ek9pQY
- Hand Held - http://amzn.to/2eTibHA
- Wine Opener - http://amzn.to/2eTjVRg
- Citrus Squeezer - http://amzn.to/2ennDzL
- Veggie Spiralizer - http://amzn.to/2e9AJEF
- Ice Cream Scoops, great for cookies and meatballs! A must have for evenness - http://amzn.to/2e9Emuj
- Garlic Press - http://amzn.to/2eI5Fvl
- Loaf Pan - http://amzn.to/2e9Cpy6
- Cake Pans
- 6 inch - http://amzn.to/2e34y6o
- 8 inch - http://amzn.to/2e9Wzbg
- 10 inch - http://amzn.to/2dBKjNL
- Cooling Racks - http://amzn.to/2doRKck
- Timer - http://amzn.to/2e7XI0x
- Oven Mitts – Choose some fun ones!
- Parchment Paper - http://amzn.to/2ekavfq
- Bench Scraper - http://amzn.to/2e82QSb
- Icing Spatula
- Small - http://amzn.to/2eufJmK
- Large - http://amzn.to/2e82qvp
- Muffin Pans
- Mini - http://amzn.to/2e83rDC
- Muffins - http://amzn.to/2eTmFxI
- Scale - http://amzn.to/2e9J3nO