Kale is one of the healthiest foods on the planet! It’s low in calories and high in so many vitamins and minerals. Kale can have a bitter, almost unpleasant taste if not prepared right. Massaging kale helps break down the bitterness so it’s more palatable and easier on the digestive tract. Below are some ideas for kale salad bases.
- 1 bunch lacinato kale (dino)
- Choose favorite dressing from above
- 1 basket raspberries + ¼ c toasted pumpkins seeds + 1 firm-ripe stone fruit, thinly sliced
- 1 basket blueberries + ¼ c almond slivers + 2 T hemp seeds + honey-lemon dressing
- 1 sliced apple + ½ c pomegranates + 3 T shallot, thinly sliced + honey-lemon vinaigrette
- 5 quartered figs + ½ c quartered strawberries + ¼ c chopped walnuts + lemon vinaigrette
- ½ avocado, diced + ½ c quartered strawberries + ¼ c sliced red onions +
- ½ roasted sweet potatoes + ½ c roasted butternut squash + ¼ almond slivers + tahini dressing
- 1 carrot sliced + 1/3 c cucumber sliced + ½ bell pepper, sliced + tamari dressing
Method: Was and dry the kale. Remove the stems. Stack 4-5 kale leaves and roll tightly. Cut the kale as thinly as possible. Repeat until all the kale is chopped and place in a bowl.
Choose the dressing of choice and massage the kale until evenly coated and soft, usually about 1-2 minutes. If it still taste bitter, keep massaging. Toss with desired toppings and enjoy.
Keep in the fridge for up to 3 days.